Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pleasures of Parenthood

Children are expensive at times and prevent us from doing our own thing.They also demand our time or attention as they consider us as ‘know All’ or experienced having answers to their questions.
But, at the same time, children bring an extra dimension (and reason too) to one's existence, and provide a very necessary foil to our overweening concerns with our careers and ourselves. Yes, we can wear this ‘parenthood’ foil and experience the pleasures of it. Personally, I find it very refreshing and at the same time relaxing to spend time with my kid who is about to enter teenage coming November this year. Also, I listen to his new ideas and interpretation of issues of common knowledge. These issues are more related to sports or common issues pertaining to our lives, family, problems, opportunities etc.
In fact, I found that by considering him as a member of decision making, I can get brighter solutions. No doubt, as it is commonly found, children are much more attached to their mothers who devote more time/ energy to develop as well look after them. Fathers are always preaching and do not ‘give in’ like mothers do!
Lately, I have struck a good ‘friendship’ with my ‘to be teenager’ son and am enjoying the same. We both go to movies often as I am fond of watching movies and so he is too.If I love my child, I learned that I have to express it! Another aspect is… by my listening to him, I found out that he feels important. I write letters to his personal mail ID when I do not have time to talk to him. Just another way of expression or communication of explaining to him the benefits of letter writing.The feeling of being a parent brings great joy, but it is tough job too.Parents are not always 'perfect' and all of us have flaws.There is no 'right way' in which children have to be brought up.There is no such thing as perfect parent or perfect child.
Now I have to be flexible: The rules that I make need not be the same as that of my parents. At the same time, I understand the fact that - what applies to one child need not be applicable to the other. So, I keep my rules flexible and try to spend some quality time with my son. Make sure I give him enough attention when doing other things like reading, walking, playing chess with him etc. I have been trying to go ‘walking’ with my son for long but I am early riser on sunday while he is not. He goes to his bed on weekends late too and always after me. He will be either busy with computer, television or reading too. But, I do not force him as I respect his requirement or decision.
I can say that I am enjoying this parenthood. I realize that I will be required to spend more time, energy as well be resourceful as he grows older. And I look forward to it. Yes, indeed.

3 comments:

  1. this is so good to read ! You write really well, I should say (at the risk of repeating myself)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also like it. Good Parenting has no set rules but the acid test is creating good citizens and that is known only after the job is over,hence methods probably don't really mean but it is dicey ya!.kofi Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. parenting is great feeling..learning every day

    ReplyDelete